Boeuf a la Gardiane
- 1kg stewing beef
- 4 tablespoons of brandy
- 1 large glass of red wine
- A bouquet of thyme, parsley and bay leaf
- Strip of orange peel
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- Butter and olive oil
- 200 g stoned black olives
- Cut the meat in cubes and brown in a mixture of butter and olive oil. Add the garlic.
- Warm the brandy in a soup ladle, pour it over the meat and set light to it, shaking the pan until the flames go out.
- Add the red wine and let it bubble for about 30 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the herbs, etc.
- Cover tightly and cook very slowly until the meat is tender. This can be done on top of the stove if it can be done gently or inside the oven. I'm not very good at oven temperatures and times, as I use an aga, but it will take between 2 to 3 hours in an oven at 140 c or 275 f.
- Ten minutes before serving remove the bouquet, add the olives and adjust the seasoning if necessary