You will need a large, fairly shallow casserole to allow plenty of surface area for the mustard coated slices of bread which are used to top this casserole towards the end of the cooking time.
- Cut the meat into 2 inch cubes and brown all over in the dripping. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the sugar, onion and garlic. When soft and browning, blend in the flour, pour in the liquids and bring to simmering point.
- Return the meat to the casserole, pushing it well down into the sauce and add the seasonings.
- Cover tightly and cook at 150*C gas mark 2 for about 2 and a half hours.
- Slice the bread and thickly spread with french mustard. Then use to cover the surface area of the casserole - allowing the bread to soak up the sauce. Return to oven for a further 15-20 mins without a lid.