Spiced Lamb in Sweet Peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 500g minced lamb
- 1 level teasp ground allspice
- 1 level teasp ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly milled pepper
- 1 x 230g tin chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 60g seedless raisins
- 60g pine kernels
- 4 yellow sweet peppers
- 60g grated cheddar cheese
- Peel and finely chop the onion and peel and crush the garlic. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion, sprinkle with the sugar and cook gently until softened and beginning to brown. Stir in the garlic
- Add the minced lamb to the pan, stir to break up the meat. Add the allspice, cinnamon, salt and a seasoning of freshly ground black pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, the tomato puree, raisins and pine kernels. Simmer gently for about 15 mins until the meat is no longer pink.
- Heat the oven to 180oC Gas 4. Take a lengthways slice of each yellow pepper leaving the stalk intact, remove the pepper seeds. Scald the peppers for 3 mins in boiling water, then drain. Pack the peppers into a casserole dish large enough to take them all in a single layer.
- Spoon the meat filling into the peppers, packing it in gently. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water to the casserole dish. Cover with the casserole lid. Set the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Uncover and top the peppers with the grated cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and just bubbling.
- Serve with crusty bread and a green salad.